Sunday 8 March 2015

Embrace The Imperfections

Hello.  Welcome.  Hope you are having a happy Sunday.  It's another grey wet day so here I sit crafting away.  You must think it's grey and wet here all the time, but that's the best time to craft isn't it?  I use the sunny days to be outside.  Over at PaperArtsy they have a minature art theme and there's lots of projects being linked into the gallery.  I decided to use some techniques from Clare's post.  She made an ATC shadow box.  I love ATC's and it's been a while since I made one.  

I liked the embossed frame Clare made from recycled packaging.  I didn't have that stamp but I have plenty packaging LOL so I cut a  piece of plastic using Sizzix ATC die, drew a frame with an embossing pen and embossed with black powder.  I think we need to ask the industry to use heat resistant packaging!!   It bent and buckled but I weighed it down whilst warm and it survived.  That's what we call texture!  No picture cos my camera didn't like the transparent aspect.  Back to this later.....
I stuck a piece of Chatsworth paper onto some chipboard and cut with Sizzix ATC die.  Then I added some Worn Lipstick distress ink and some black acrylic using the smudgy stamp from HP1105.  I stamped the bird from PaperArtsy HP1103, masked and stamped the birdcage from the same set.  I coloured the bird with Inky Pool fresco finish paint.


Because I had cut the plastic frame I was talking about earlier and then did the heat embossing it was a bit wonky so I knew when I added it to my ATC it wouldn't reach the edges.  So I inked the edges in black.


So here's the frame, in place on my ATC.  I added black and white acrylic behind to make the border opaque.  I love the texture the embossing powder gives.  I like the old glass effect the wonky heated plastic gives, but you probably aren't seeing that.  
I stamped the sentiment from JOFY15 on white shrink plastic and skrunk it.  It actually behaved quite well.  I did have images of it rolling up like a pig in a blanket!! 

Joining the fun at
PaperArtsy 
Virginia's View Challenge 13 - Embossing 

Thanks for dropping by.  I'm off to try stamping and painting some glass slides.  Another fun technique on the PaperArtsy blog.  What fun.  Hugz

8 comments:

Clare Lloyd said...

Cool framed ATCs

PaperArtsy said...

Well its good that you have plenty of packaging!! You can use some of it in the next topic too!!! Fab ATC!

Lizzy Hill said...

That sentiment looks great - love the whole journey you took us on with making this one - it looks fabulous!!!!

Sue said...

Oh I love this Gail, so much detail on your ATC. The next challenge sounds like fun doesn't it! xx

Becca Cruger said...

I love this so much. It's got such a great vintage feel! That frame you added to it looks awesome!

Donna K said...

I was popping by from FwF and to thank you for your sweet comments on my blog and this caught my eye! LOVE this shadowbox design. Great bird and wonderful sentiment. Wishing you warm skies this week! xx Donna K

Kay Wallace said...

Love your bird and the cage, Gail! Great color choices, too! You did a great job on this!

Holly AKA KopyKat said...

Oh these are so beautiful! Just became a follower, wasn't aware I wasn't.