Saturday 16 August 2014

All Of It Good

Hello.  Welcome.  I remember as a child I could so get into a book that the world around me just faded away.  Coming back was like waking up, with sounds and people suddenly becoming loud and vivid.  Feel a bit like that right now.  Just finished this and I love it.  It is so inktense.  Not perfect.  Nothing anyone would notice unless I point out the flaws.  Which I probably will LOL.  Or maybe if you are a perfectionist.  Because despite the fact that things aren't quite square, I still love it.

This started off inspired by Helen's post over at PaperArtsy.  Once I had completed the center piece I wanted it to be something so I've used the sketch from YNS to make a card.  Have I mentioned that I love this??  Want to see???...........

 
Helen used Stampbord and scratched her details.  I didn't have any of that so I hoped a white gelly roll pen would be up to the job.  I stamped the girl from PaperArtsy LPC022 and then made a border using one of the small stamps from LPC030.  Then I coloured with DI Dried Marigold, Salty Ocean and Picked Raspberry.  I added white highlights with the gelly roll pen.  Then I mounted it on a piece of black card.  



I wanted to make a frame so I have used part of the pen stamp from LPC030 to stamp the edges and the shell stamp from LPC001 for the corners.  I coloured as with the above image.  You may notice that the frame isn't exactly square!  I noticed that too!!  And despite that, because I love it and all our children have small imperfections which make them unique, but no less loved, I decided it didn't matter!!  How liberating.  Then I did this

   
As previously noted the stamped frame isn't quite straight.  I measured down and across and they were equal, but it still looked squiffy.  So I checked the diagonals.  Ah!!  Obviously a right angle or two has gone a little bit adrift.  To solve this problem, and don't tell anyone I did this, I cut my card level with the sides of my layers.  So now my card is a bit squiffy, but it's one of those optical illusions that fool the eye into thinking it isn't.  OK, maybe not totally, but it's close.  The sentiment is a Hero Arts stamp embossed with white embossing powder.  

My black card has a white core, a feature I usually try to hide with a black marker, but tonight we shall embrace our imperfections and distress, distress, distress.  The raggy edges also help disguise the slight squiff.  Just trying to decide if I need a sign of life doodle border.   Decisions decisions.........

Joining the fun at
PaperArtsy
YNS Challenge #15 - Sketch
Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge - Scratched Up 
A Blog Named Hero Challenge #50 - Ombre  I thought I had the idea from the DT's lovely examples but decided to check the definition.  Just to be sure.  OK, so it's 'a trick-taking card game for three people using a pack of forty cards, popular in Europe in the 17th–18th centuries' uhhhhhhh...  I'm not sure that's what was meant, although it sounds like fun!  So I'm going with fading colour and hope that the fact that it's fading every which way to sunrise and back again is OK.  I'm sure someone will let me know if it's not, but if you have seen my hair I can assure you that fade doesn't always happen as a single colour.  You wouldn't believe the number of people who ask if I've had hi/lo-lights!!  The effects of a healthy outdoor life whilst wearing a cap!  Hugs

Thanks so much for your visit.  I appreciate the time you take to visit.  Especially when it's a load of old waffle like it is tonight.   Ah, Midnight, the sound of cats snoring, frost on the face of the moon and everything is jolly and bright.  Bwahahahahahaha.  More hugs cos you deserve them :-)

10 comments:

Lin said...

Excellent I love this Gail..such vibrant colours and the gel pen looks great!!

Lucy Edmondson said...

This is a total stunner. Nuff said,

Lucy x

Anonymous said...

You did a fantastic job with what you had Gail, I love this beautiful, vibrant card!
Alison x

scrapsnsuch@gmail.com said...

What a cool technique. Fun way to pull in this month's YNS sketch - thanks for playing along with us!

Etsuko said...

Oh! This is stunning card! Brilliant colours and fab LP image!! xx

Hazel Agnew said...

Colours are luscious, one of my fave stamps, who cares about squewiff…looks fab.x

Kay Wallace said...

Imperfection is the new "perfection" in art, Gail, haven't you heard? I have several people whose blogs I follow and I consider them true experts in my art journaling world. On a few occasions recently, I have noticed that a sentiment was not straight, I noticed that a stamped image wasn't perfected stamped, and I noticed that there was a "hard line" where there was an attempt to blend colors. Each of these things would have caused me to utter my favorite expletive, toss my project and begin again. But, as I sat enjoying the piece in front of me, I became as comfortable with the imperfection as the artist herself had become. I embrace the minor imperfection in your work today, Gail, as you should. It is beautiful, exactly as it is! Truly!

Meihsia Liu said...

Your creation is fabulous. Love the beautiful colors and image. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. :)

Sue said...

Wow Gail this is gorgeous, the colours are brilliant, and what a great choice of stamps. Looks pretty perfect to me! xx

Angel said...

Such a stunning card! Love the vibrant colors! Thanks for playing with us at YNS!