Saturday 21 December 2013

Little Boxes, Little Boxes

Hello.  Welcome.  Big special hello to Jellybeanerz.  Welcome to the following.  Gosh, nearly Christmas.  Are you ready?  I just can't get my head around it.  The weather here in Southern Norway is unseasonable warm.  My hydrangea looks like it's going to start sprouting!!  We are all confused.  Not complaining mind.  There's still lots of time for the weather to get bad before Spring arrives.  But it just doesn't feel so much like Christmas.  

I decided to try this tea light card after seeing one similar on a blog post.  Sorry, don't remember where I was and there were no instructions, so I made it up as I went along.  If I had done a search I would probably have turned up a load of tutorials and saved myself some thinking.  Just in case anyone wants to give my version a go I remembered to take photo's LOL.....


I cut card from a sheet of My Mind's Eye 29t Street Market.  This is card weight paper and printed both sides which saves some effort with colouring.  I cut
  • 1 piece 15 x 26cm and scored at 12 and 14cm
  • 1 piece 15 x 15cm and scored at 1, 3, 12 and 14cm.  Put double sided tape along the two outer scored edges. 
  • 2 pieces 7 x 4cm scored at 1 and 3cm along the length.  These two pieces are to stop the tea lights falling out.  I have stuck one of these in place on the photo above. On one piece put tape along both edges, on the other piece just put the tape along one edge.  

I used a Sizzix Movers and Shapers die to cut the windows.  Then I folded under the edge with tape, lined it up against the hinge score and stuck it down. 


If you then push this tea light section back across the hinge and flat the other edge will be in the right place to stick it down.


Push it back up and it should look like this.


Tape the bottom piece (the one with tape both sides) in place. 


I've decorated the inside of my card using Cheery Lynn Emperor's Swan die to cut my oval frame.  The flourishes are cut using Cheery Lynn Celtic Oval Frame die.  I have glittered the frame and the flourishes.  I put my top piece in place to hold the tealights.  The back edge is glued but I punched two holes at the front and put a piece of ribbon through.  I have also attached a tag stamped using LOTV Madame tags set. 


On the front I cut a Cheery Lynn Waltzing Matilda Lace Doily from pale pink glitter card.  The cat is Joanna Sheen Cup Kitties decoupage.  I added a sparkly mini pompom to his hat, some glitter on the trees and holly and some more glittered flourishes. 

Joining the fun at
Cheery Lynn Designs Challenge 111 - Sparkle and Shine
Joanna Sheen Challenge - Make it Sparkle
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge - Bling it on
Papirdokkene Utfordring 54 - Dies
Papertake Weekly - Last Christmas Card of the Year
Country View Challenges - Bah, humbug!
Crafty Hazelnut's Christmas Challenge 156 - Last Minute Cards
Crafty Hazelnut's Christmas Challenge Extra for December
ALBC - Christmas Cheer

I really like these tea light cards.  A little bit more than a card and really great if you use scented tea lights.  Haven't quite worked out if they would be postable.  They are quite heavy and you would need to use a box-elope. 

Thanks for dropping by.  Take care, relax and don't forget to craft......

9 comments:

shulsart said...

Iona, what a wonderful Christmas gift this will make and what an adorable kitty. Good luck and thanks for joining in on the fun at Cheery Lynn Designs challenge.

Laura Sterckx said...

Wonderful idea! I love the tea lights in the card and that cute kitty image on the card! :) Thank you for joining us at the Simon Says Wednesday Challenge Blog! :)

Heather said...

A fabulous creation, lovely design and colours. Your image is so cute!!

Thanks so much for joining Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge
hugs
Heather xx

Sylvia said...

Great project, love the cat. Must try this myself.

Sylv xx

NGCARDS said...

Such a wonderful creation! Thanks for playing at PTW and I wish you all the best for the festive season! xxx

Hazel said...

Very clever and inspiring creation - thanks for entering both of my CHNC challenges - hope to see you again soon. x

Gro said...

Beautiful card. Thanks for joining us at Papirdokkene :o)

Kay Wallace said...

You are just so darn crafty, Gail! I love this Christmas box!

sparklingblackrose said...

Very, very clever! Thank you for joining us at A little bit Crafty, hope to see you join us soon :-) Elaine DT-xxx-