Thursday 22 August 2013

Learn Something New Every Day

Good evening followers and friends.  A special hi to my most newest followers.  Our little band grows.  Thanks for all your support. 

I really believe that we should all try and do something new or learn something new every day.  It is so easy to fall into the same routine and not take the time to see things from a different angle or just try something new.  So I thought I would share with you a few of things I learnt today. 

Make your own mask from one of those dies you have.  It's fun and easy but make sure if you are going to use it with a 'wet' medium, and lets face it most of them are, then maybe you should consider something a bit more hardwearing than card.   

When spreading texture paste on your mask, a piece of card is not the best applicator due to the wet medium theory discussed above.  If like me you are very loyal I would suggest one of the store loyalty cards that are taking up too much space in the wallet/purse/pocket book.  Not your current credit card though cos you may need to be buying some more crafty goodies soon and the texture paste plays up the card reader something rotten. 

Smile when it goes right.  Smile when it goes wrong.  You might get wrinkles but they will be happy ones and whatever the outcome a smile restores the soul. 

OK, that's my little bit of wisdom for the evening, on to the craft.  I have been spending quite a lot of time over at PaperArtsy.  They have their birthday thing going on and a new post every evening this month and this week Carol Quance is back with some fun projects.  She has given some insight into the design process.  I usually don't know exactly where it's going until I get there, they say it's the journey not the destination, so it was quite nice to go through the steps of the design with Carol.  As she suggested I started with a stamped image.....



This is from PaperArtsy Bricks and Mortar SIBM4.  I coloured it with Butternut and Galaxy Markers. 



Then I assembled some more bits.  I am using the Tando Creative Home Sweet Home Plaque.  I decided to use Leandra's texture paste/stamp technique for the texture.  I made a mask with circles using a spellbinders die, added texture paste and stamped with small stamps from PaperArtsy LPC022, LPC001 and SM12
I wanted my plaque to be bright so picked reds/orange/yellow as my colours.  


Unfortunately I didn't have fresco paints in the right colours.  These I used didn't sand well over the texture areas so I cheated a bit and daubed on some white paint.  



The house is painted with PaperArtsy fresco paint Pansy then stamped with Hampton Arts I Love Thee stamp.  This was the biggest text stamp I had and I thought the lovey quotes were quite apt for my home sweet home plaque.  The roof bit has been painted, stamped, no don't like that, painted, doodled on, no don't like that, painted again in white.  I tried the Magic Roundabout mask from Crafty Individuals with more Pansy paint.  Me likey.  Then I decided to add iridescent glitter glue for a fab finish.  I use this quite a lot and never really know how it's going to turn out.  It looks different on different colours.  That is white and Pansy under there, honest guv'nor.  I used the same glitter glue on the polka dots on the house image and a birdie from Stampotiques Birdie Up has appeared at the window.  He's in the Limelight! 


The letters also got the I Love Thee stamp treatment with added glitter glue.  Love the texture made by stamping into the texture paste.  

This little project is joining the fun at
PaperArtsy
Tando Creative Challenges - Feel the Heat
Stampotique Designers Challenge 112 - Polka Dots 
Crafty Individuals

Hope you are having a great week.  Thanks for dropping by and staying with me through this long waffley post.  

13 comments:

Julie Lee said...

Such a bright and cheery little house plaque. Julie Ann xx

Reflective Art Studio said...

Wonderful... I love your creativity. Thank you for sharing with us at Stampotique Designer's Challenge.
Best
Sarinda

PaperArtsy said...

Well I love your words of wisdom, too true. Using dies to make your own stencil is a great, resourceful and very cunning plan!!

Jean Hardy said...

Very bright and bubbly house plaque - love the roof decorated with the Magic Roundabout Mask and glittery finish. Thanks for joining in the Crafty Individuals Challenge this month. Jean x

Unknown said...

Gorgeous! I love how you put together colors I would never think of to make these amazingly cheerful creations! I love Tando stuff but they don't sell in the US yet - ahh well. Also, a hint when making your own masks/stencils - cover them with packing tape and they last a bit longer than when just left plain :)

Trish said...

Oh it's gorgeous! So bright and pretty.

Janet said...

Terrific, love your colour combo
Janet x

Sylvia said...

Love the bold colours and textures on this great new home plaque.

Sylv xx

Cocofolies said...

Hello Gail, I read your introduction so let's me swap to my natural language which is french... If it mind you however, let's me know it for the next time I will visit you !
Merci beaucoup de ta participation au challenge Tando (ainsi qu'à celui de Stampotique, je découvre avec grand plaisir tes ronds et ce petit oiseau que j'adore sur ta réa très chouette... :o). C'est une superbe réa, gaie, colorée et très amusante, bravo !! Coco x

ionabunny said...

Coco, merci beaucoup for your lovely comment. All comments gratefully received in any language.

Kay Wallace said...

Love your polka dots and this plaque, Gail! Made me happy!

Kaz said...

I shall comment with both hats on!! I really love what you've done here. The bird looks very happy in his new home!!
Thanks for joining in both the Stampotique and Tando challenges!

Carol Plume said...

what a lovely bright project - Thank you for joining us at Tando Creative this month.